SCC releases statistics for 2018
2018 was another strong year for the SCC. An unprecedented increase in the average dispute value, entailed that the total value in dispute for all cases commenced in 2018 amounted to 13,3 billion EUR, despite a certain decline in the number of cases filed.
A total of 152 cases were registered, of which half (76) were international disputes, involving parties from 43 countries. Of the registered cases, 89 were filed under the SCC Arbitration Rules, and 52 under the SCC Rules for Expedited Arbitrations. 2018 showed a 50 % increase in gender diversity among the appointed arbitrators.
Some highlights from the 2018 statistics:
- The total value in dispute for all cases commenced in 2018 amounted to 13,3 billion EUR.
- Six new investment treaty arbitrations were registered 2018, bringing the SCC’s total number of investment disputes to 106.
- In the majority of cases administered under the Expedited Rules, an award was rendered within 3 months of referral (61 % of the cases).
- The SCC received four applications for the appointment of an Emergency Arbitrator. The applications were administered swiftly, with all emergency arbitrators appointed within the stipulated 24 hours, and decisions rendered on average after 5 days.
- Statistics regarding the appointed arbitrators show an increase in the number of women arbitrators. In 2018, 27 % of appointed arbitrators were women, up from 18 % in 2017. Notably, 24% of the party-appointed arbitrators were women, compared to 8 % in 2017 and 11 % in 2016. Of the arbitrators appointed by co-arbitrators about half were women (5) and half men (4).