Strategy and practice in investment arbitration
On 6 March, McDermott Will & Emery, the SCC and Goethe University Frankfurt am Main invite to an international conference in connection to the Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court (FIAM). The conference will focus on issues like strategic choices and practical steps when filing an investment claim.
Filing an investment claim requires extensive preparations, based on deep knowledge of legal framework and on various practical considerations. The purpose of the afternoon conference, is to give a detailed overview of the legal issues encountered at the initial stage of the proceedings, as well as to provide insights into institutional practices applied to investment arbitrations. Speakers include representatives from the SCC, the PCA, and the ICC, as well as partners, counsels and associates from international law firms:
- Sukma Andrina, legal counsel, SCC
- Sabine Konrad, partner, McDermott Will & Emery, Frankfurt
- Ginta Ahrel, senior associate, Lindahl, Stockholm
- Eva Kalnina, counsel, Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler, Geneve
- Levent Sabanogullari, legal counsel, PCA
- Natalia Petrik, legal counsel, SCC
- Ivana Blagojević, deputy legal counsel, ICC
- Michelle Glassman Bock, counsel, Wilmer Hale, Frankfurt
- Arne Fuchs, associate, McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP, Frankfurt
- Christer Söderlund, senior counsel, Morssing Nycander, Stockholm
- Ignacio Torterola, partner, GST LLP, Washington
- Boris Kasolowski, partner, Freshfields, Frankfurt
The 2017 moot will be conducted under the UNCITRAL 2010 rules, see the case study here. Last year, the moot was held under the SCC Rules, and the SCC also co-hosted a conference on the latest developments within the field.
The Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court is the oldest student competition in the area of investment protection law, and this year it celebrates its 10 anniversary. The students present their arguments orally before tribunals of arbitration compose of investment treaty specialists. The 2017 competition takes place on 6-10 March.