ISDS: A Way Forward
The SCC is co-organizing a seminar on 27 May where we will discuss how we can achieve a more fact-based debate on the much talked about dispute resolution method ISDS (Investor-State Dispute Settlement).
The recent international debate surrounding investment protection and ISDS has been characterized by misconceptions and confusion, typically driven by a small number of undecided cases.
The aim of this joint event is to explain the basis and functioning of ISDS and to have a more fact-based debate. To this aim, the event offers insights from arbitration practitioners and experts.
- The role of ISDS in a developed world: why it was here and why it should still be here.
- Brief introduction to arbitration and EU arbitration.
- Procedural development: Emergency arbitrator in ISDS cases.
- ISDS and sustainable development.
- Transparency in ISDS.
- Conflict of law and choice of arbitrator.
- Private adjudication and the public interest.
The seminar will take place in Brussels on 27 May and is jointly organized by the Association for International Arbitration (AIA), Brussels Diplomatic Academy (BDA) and the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC).
Curious about ISDS? Visit the ISDS Blog
Investment disputes at the SCC
Sweden and the SCC play a leading role internationally as a forum for disputes between investors and states. The SCC is today the second largest institution in the world for the administration of Investor-state disputes.